No products in the cart.
Distance learning has truly transformed the learning environment for K-12 schools, as the COVID-19 crisis has forced educators to go completely digital with their curriculum. While teachers have found an abundant supply of content and tools online to rapidly turnaround their lesson plans to teach online, there still has been a huge adjustment. Additionally, parents have taken on the additional responsibility of supporting children learning at home while students increase screen-time usage and navigate learning without being in the classroom.
Because states across the nation are issuing stay-at-home orders and increasing their duration, there isn’t a chance this will be changing for students anytime soon. This gives teachers and parents few options to reunite students for in-class activities or events such as field trips.
The good news is that many organizations have brought their exhibits and events online in wake of the recent community closures. This means that students have the opportunity to gain real-world experience that crosses into the realm of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics) while being confined at home.
Some example organizations include:
- Art Galleries
- Historical Societies
- National Parks
We’ve rounded up the ultimate list of field trips that are offered online for children to explore when they need a virtual adventure outside of home.
- We Are Teachers’ 25 Best Virtual Field Trips for Kids Spring 2020 – From zoos to planetariums to aquariums, We Are Teachers has compiled a long list of educational places to send students virtually to learn while classrooms are closed.
- MarketWatch’s 20 Virtual Field Trips to Keep Kids Occupied and Learning – MarketWatch’s virtual field trip list contains places from space to zoos, but includes links to live webcams so students can check in on animals and watch their daily routines and care.
- Bemidji Pioneer’s Virtual Field Trips: Free Resources to Combat Boredom During Covid-19 – Don’t forget about math and science! Bemidji’ Pioneer’s list makes sure to include these integral subjects in their list by listing trips for students that tie back into STEAM.
- We Are The Mighty’s 28 Free Virtual Field Trips and Activities for Families in Quarantine – Another important aspect of STEAM is The Arts, and The Mighty’s list does an excellent job of including field trips that are inclusive of these areas.
- Discovery Education’s Virtual Field Trips – Discovery Education’s field trips are unique because they also come with a guide, additional activities and are standards-aligned!
- Common Sense Media’s List of Virtual Field Trip Apps and Websites – Looking to kick your tech up a notch? Head over to Common Sense Media’s list to download an app or check out a website that may take your quest for a virtual field trip a step further.
- Scholastic’s Virtual Field Trip – Looking to see how virtual field trips were used in action? Check out this case study by Scholastic who interviewed staff and students from Mt. Lebanon School District outside Pittsburgh.
- Adventures in Familyhood’s 20 Virtual Field Trips to Take With Your Kids – Another favorite for The Arts, Adventures in Familyhood’s list has a great list of art museums for educators or parents looking to let children enjoy and analyze masterpieces from home.
- Waterford’s 9 Great Virtual Field Trips for Early Learners – Yes, you can take a field trip to the Great Wall of China. Ready to take your students? Visit Waterford’s site to get going!
- The Educators’ Spin On It 30+ Field Trips for Kids – Interested in US history, landmarks or natural parks and resources? This is the ultimate list for you and your students to virtually tour.